Math: Number Sense & Place Value

Are your students learning about numbers?  You can teach number flexibility by practicing a variety of strategies for reading, writing, and comparing numbers!



Here are some easy, practical ways to illustrate Number Sense and Place Value!




Here are our learning targets:

  • I can read and write whole numbers up to 1,000,000 using numerals, words, and expanded notation.  4.NBT.2
  • I can compare two numbers using symbols to show the comparison.  4.NBT.2
  • I can use place value to round numbers up to 1,000,000 to any place.  4.NBT.

This is a great unit to use when introducing math journals (picts to come.)  I began with a pre-assessment.  Next, I used the anchor chart (above) to introduce the first learning target.  We discussed standard form, word  form, expanded form, and how to use a place value chart.  We discussed the periods of numbers and practice reading numbers from left to right.


 I laminated the charts (above) for student practice.
  I noticed many spelling issues, when writing numbers.  So, I created this class poster.  I also make small version for math journals.  We had a discussion about compound numbers twenty-one through ninety-nine (which I included on the math journal resource sheet).


 Here we are playing our first game: Reading and Writing Numbers.  Students used numeral cards (their choice of the total number of cards, from 3-7).  They created numbers, recorded, them in Standard Form, read them out loud, and wrote them out in words.
Click on the game sheet  or the cover page (below) for a link to the 
Number unit in my TPT store!  
It includes Reading and Writing Numbers (standard form, written form, expanded form, and place value charts.)